Run towards the end of the season in September; this is the most competitive regatta of the year and a must for sailors who are looking to gain places in Regional or National Squad! For those attending their first National Event there is a fully coached regatta fleet.
Welcome to the Welsh Zone Championships 2015
North Wales OnBoard Festival
Hosted by Bala Sailing Club
26-27th September 2015
Welcome to the Welsh Zone Championships 2015 event home page. The event will be hosted this year at an Inland venue, Bala sailing Club. This year we are also hosting the North Wales OnBoard Festival at the same time, this should mean there will be lots of sailors but there will also be plenty of coaches on hand to help and advise you.
On this page you will find everything you need to know about the event from sailing instructions and accommodation to volunteering to help out at the event.
As with previous years the racing will be run on two race courses:
1. Main Fleet (Optimist, Topper and GH) – For sailors who are competent at sailing around a trapezoid course and can withstand a whole day out on the water. Welsh National and Regional Squad coaches will be on hand to offer any technical advice on the water.
2. Regatta Fleet/OnBoard fleet – For sailors who are new to racing or are young. Sailors will be able to go ashore for lunch on Saturday and Sunday and the racing is coached similar to the CYRC’s allowing sailors a little more help to get around the race course.
Windsurfing – The windsurfers will be sailing with the regatta fleet/OnBoard fleet. The lake should provide some excellent conditions for windsurf racing.
Sailing Instructions – Not yet published
John Merrick’s Sailing Trust OnBoard Award 2015
Notice of Selection JMST OB Single-Handers Final 2015 – Sailors and Windsurfers.
1. RYA RYA Junior pathway classes: Optimist, Topper, Laser 4.7 and BIC Techno
2. Selection committee will aim to shortlist 3 young sailors at the event.
3. Sailors not own their own equipment, nor have the use of family owned equipment.
4. Not have participated in an RYA recognised dinghy Junior Class National Championships (including regatta fleets), or have been a member of any RYA or Class Association regional or National squad.
5. Under 15 on the 31st of December 2015 (i.e. 14 years of age or younger) for all sailors. Indicatively this means it is likely that successful sailors will be:
126.96.36.199. Under 12 on the 31st December 2015 for Optimists,
188.8.131.52. Under 13 on the 31st December 2015 for the Toppers and Windsurfers, and
184.108.40.206. Under 14 on the 31st December 2015 for the Laser 4.7 class.
As with all of our event we heavily rely on volunteers to help us run the event. We have many roles that need to be manned from safety crew to registration assistance. If you would like to volunteer at this years Welsh Zone Championships please fill in the Volunteer Registration below. All volunteers will receive a complimentary lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to advise what role you would like to volunteer for. Below is a volunteer role description sheet to give a brief summary of each role.
Volunteer Role Description
Accommodation is available at the Urdd – see below for details
Location Gwersyll Yr Urdd Glan-Llyn, Llanuwchllyn, Y Bala, Gwynedd, LL23 7ST
Price £27 per person for bed and breakfast, (please bring a sleeping bag)
Room size vary from 2,4,6,8, beds
Lots of parking spaces for boats as Well!!!!
To book contact Ann Williams
by phone on 01678 541000 or e mail email@example.com
payment to be made same time as booking
Event Director: Ruth Iliffe
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 07824990696
Address: Bala Sailing Club, Pont Mwnwgl-y-Llyn, Y Bala, Gwynedd, LL23 7BS Contact number: 01678 520464 Website www.balasc.org.uk
The event will be covered by Twitter @welshsailing. Photographs and general event information will also be on RYA Cymru Wales Facebook.
WHO HAS ALREADY ENTERED